The Specialist Sport Program at Henley High School provides eleven sports where expert teachers and coaches lead the skill and tactical development of student athletes enrolled in the program. Each of the sporting programs are developed in close consultation with the State Associations to ensure that the we provide both a ‘developmental’ and ’high performance ‘ focus to tailor for individual student athlete’s needs. A subject within the curriculum the Specialist Sport Program adopts a Year 8 -12 model of delivery which provides students with mentoring and leadership opportunities.
The aims of the Specialist Sport Program are to provide student athletes access to:
- A flexible, supportive and “athlete friendly” academic environment. The academic program covers essential learning in English, Mathematics, Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS), Science, Health and Physical Education, Technology and Arts.
- Quality support in balancing sporting and academic expectations
- Provide flexible access to Competition & training opportunities.
- Sport Science services such as fitness testing, performance analysis, sports psychology, nutritional advice and sports injury support.
- Work Experience and Career Education support and planning.
- An extensive Personal Development program specific to the student athlete.
- Surf Life Saving and Swimming
The Specialist Sport Program is based upon a season focus with its training schedule supporting a whole year development model.
The training schedule includes
- Specific skill and technique development
- Team and strategy development
- Game play throughout the year with involvement in various competition, carnivals and exchanges.
- Individual and group strength and conditioning programs
- Rehabilitation and recovery support
- Video analysis
- Fitness Analysis
- Coaching and officiating accreditations
- Nutritional, Sport psychology and Injury Prevention and Drug Awareness programs